Mexico, Mexico City East Mission
Sept 14, 2011-Sept 14, 2013

Saturday, December 31, 2011

October 8, 2011

Dear Family,

I'm so happy that I get to e-mail you today. Today is Saturday and everything is going great. I guess you can say that today is our "pretend" p-day. Since we have so much going on this week. Well, stuff that has happened since the last time I saw you is go through the crazy experience of getting settled into the MTC. I was led away from Dad and Mom by Elder Hancock who is 20 years old and is headed to Chile this upcoming week. He showed me where to go and what to do. First, he took me to get my nametag and card for my meals. Along with the key to my room and stuff like that. He led me over to building 13M, which is now my new home. I am in Branch 22 and in district B. A little after I got to my room my new companion came walking up the stairs with his guide. He's awesome. He's 22 years old and from Kentucky. I helped him get his bags into the room and we introduced ourselves to each other. He has finished 3 years of college and is the only LDS guy in his family.  His name is Elder Ottaway. We've both been a little overwhelmed with everything by being new, but what can you do. The other guys in our district are amazing. They're Elder Benfit from Oregon, Elder Johnson from Utah, Elder Conner from Las Vegas, Nevada, Elder Wood from Utah, Elder Ottesen from Utah, Elder Jackson from Utah, and Elder Bowles from Utah. Our instructors served their missions in Spain a few years ago. Their names are Brother Keller and Brother Harper. I don't think Ryley knows them, but they speak with thetas. So it's a little difficult understanding at times. Since they speak to us in only Spanish! Haha, we have been struggling to learn, especially since they had us teach our first investigator in Spanish last night. It was pretty intense, but I think Elder Ottaway and I made it through just fine. We got her to read and pray about the book of Mormon and we bore our testimonies in Spanish. My Spanish is coming along great. I've been extremely blessed. We all got interviewed by the Branch Presidency and they chose me to be Senior Companion! It's pretty awesome. I'm a little nervous because our zone leaders are leaving soon, so we'll be getting new ones. Who knows who they'll assign. :) Our district had a great little get together last night and we decided we were only going to speak Spanish from now on. No matter what, so we carry our dictionaries with us everywhere. I had to get 2 extra shots when I got here. Supposedly you need to have a booster for Tetanus and MMR before you head out. So they charged me like $97, I mailed the bill home so it should be there sometime. I tried to pay for it out of the money in my wallet, but the lady wouldn't let me. She said "Don't use that money, that's for emergencies and fun stuff. You should mail it home." Sorry to leave you guys with the bill. You can use my account to pay for it if you want. :) The food is pretty good, I haven't had any complaints yet. My digestive system has been working normally. So everthing is good. Overall it's been an amazing experience. I have pictures for you guys, but for some reason this computer won't allow me to update them. I'll send you photos of my district, my companion, my room, the lunch room, my classroom, my instructors, everything I can next week. Just remember that I'm being well looked out for. Our district does everything together, not because we have to, but because we chose to. We eat together, study together, pray together, sing together, laugh together, and help each other in everything. I love these guys. They're so spiritually strong and are all obedient missionaries. We're all just so excited to be able to speak Spanish fluently. Kind of crazy when we will be able to. Just know that I think about you guys all the time and pray for you (in Spanish) :) Keep staying close to the Gospel and e-mail me back with whatever questions you have about this place. I probably only have time to respond to 1 e-mail, so I'll just do a bulk message to everyone. Anyways, I love you guys sooo much. You have all been inspirations to me and I use your examples everyday. The next e-mail will be better. I promise. :) I love you guys again!! Hasta Luego. Chau.


Elder Poulsen

No comments:

Post a Comment